A national mechanism to encourage and secure access to rental housing

consultations since 2009 | Last updated 19/01/2020 | Site map
Contact   Friend
> GRL or coverage of tenant’s risk

GRL or coverage of tenant’s risk

Bookmark and Share Decrease size Increase size Tip a friend Print

CategoryPractical guidelines
ChapterRenting and letting

Coverage of tenant’s risk

To meet and deal with the rental housing shortage, due in part to the reticence of owner-landlords to rent to low or irregular-income tenants, the government, in conjunction with 1% housing, introduced GRL or coverage of tenant’s risk at the end of 2006

Objectives of coverage of tenant’s risk include the signature of 2 million PASS-GRL contracts and the introduction of 50,000 homes on the rental market between now and 2010.

GRL is only intended for owners who accept to rent to tenants with low or irregular incomes. In exchange, the owner is protected under an unpaid rent insurance plan for a very reasonable cost.

An unlimited warranty for the owner

In case of unpaid rent, coverage of tenant’s risk takes over, within the limit of € 2,300 a month, rent and occupancy expenses included, with no time limit.
It also covers any lawyer or bailiff fees as well as any additional legal expenses.
Finally, GRL covers property damage of up to € 7,700 in loss at a time.

Housing assistance for people with low incomes

If rent, occupancy expenses included, and before housing assistance, represents between 33 and 50% of the tenant’s income, he/she is eligible to take advantage of the GRL mechanism.

How to take advantage of the tenant’s risk coverage mechanism

It is up to the tenant to prove to the owner that he/she is eligible. He/she must complete a Pass-GRL on-line, it will allow him/her to benefit from the GRL. Site: www.grlgestion.fr.
This document, valid for 3 months, considers the applicant's income over the last 3 months. The answer is instantaneous and if the tenant is eligible, he/she simply prints the document and provides it to the owner, together with the usual supporting documents (photocopy of ID, payslips or accounting statement for the self-employed, last notice of assessment, and in some cases, a certificate from the CAF, the French family allowance fund).
Once all of these documents have been assembled, the owner must contact his/her insurance company to take out coverage of tenant's risk.

Updated on: 03/10/2008

And on the same subject:

Inventory of fixtures
The technical survey record for the rental

2008-2014 Valoggia. Tous droits réservés

Real estate for sale by owner
Legal information
Information and advice
Property condition reports
Renting and letting
Model letters
Laws and taxes

Créez une alerte
Vendeurs vendez votre bien
Quizz immobilier